Sunday, 10 December 2017

Week 49, 2017 - On strategy, truth, fear of conflict - and more

Sunday, December 3rd, 2017

A good strategy is all very good, but how to execute it in a world, where culture eats strategy for breakfast? With this article from Harvard Business Review, Paul Leinwand and Joachim Rotering tells us How to Excel at Both Strategy and Execution, there is hope.
It's all about engaging, motivating, enabling instead of assuming that once you have made a strategy, it will automatically, magically unfold and enable you to conquer the world.

Monday, December 4th, 2017

Some of the best reads I have are those, where something very obvious that I had never thought of this way before strikes me as an immediate epiphany the moment I read it. This was the precise feeling I had, when I read Chaka Booker's article on How to Handle Fear at Work.
"Fear of conflict is not something to eliminate. Rather recognize that feeling for what it is — a signal guiding you toward a conversation you need to have."
It is difficult to state it more clearly than that, and we who might be a little too conflict averse for our own good should frame it and hang it prominently on our wall as the quote of the year.

Tuesday, December 5th, 2017

If there's one thing I hate, it is making bad decisions. So I was very interested, when Pat McDaniel once again offered a good text about how to make better decisions: Better Decision Making: 600% Better Results With This Trick.
The basic point is that single option decisions of the type: "Should I do this - or not?" are not a frightfully good idea - so the question is: how do I avoid bringing myself into single option decision scenarios?

Wednesday, December 6th, 2017

The eminent Wendy Woolfork inspired me to substitute the Wednesday reading with watching a TED talk - in this one, Get comfortable with being uncomfortable, Luvvie Ajayi inspires us to get comfortable with being uncomfortable speaking hard truths when necessary.
Honesty is always the best policy, and truth does not mature nicely by being hidden away - and we need to remind ourselves whenever possible. 

Thursday, December 7th, 2017

In the excellent article Why Leaders Should Embrace Being Wrong, which has appeared on both Huffington Post and Forbes, Dorie Clark explains, based on Kathryn Schulz, how we can foster a corporate climate that has a healthy relationship to being wrong.
And, not to forget, why it matters - “every instance of wrongness is an opportunity to learn and to see something in a new way”, as it is quoted in the text.

Friday, December 8th, 2017

Art Petty delivers a fascinating piece, Leadership Caffeine™—Communication Lessons from Charlie Brown on how leaders should refrain from hiding behind the language of management-speak. On why we should let them know that we do not get it when they do. And on how we should think it over: do we really want to communicate a message which is clearly impossible to understand.

Saturday, December 9th, 2017

We all make mistakes, that's nothing new - if we think we do not, then that might be the biggest of them all. But another big one would be not to learn from the mistakes we make. In Learn From Your Mistakes: 10 Blunders Leaders Can’t Afford to Make  Monica Eaton-Cardone warns us about some of the mistakes we should absolutely learn not to make.


I hope the above has been able to inspire you in your reading, and I hope you stay tuned for seven new things next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment