Sunday, 18 March 2018

Week 11, 2018 - On growth culture, office politics, psychological safety - and more

Sunday, March 11th, 2018

These days, it is all about performance. But what if we are wrong in this chase for high performance? Perhaps there are alternatives that could be preferred, when it comes to corporate culture? Tony Schwartz presents an alternative in his Create a Growth Culture, Not a Performance-Obsessed One. 

Monday, March 12th, 2018

I am avidly opposed to hidden agendas, as they make relationships toxic and waste energy which could be put so much better to use elsewhere. Therefore, I am happy to share anything that helps and enables us to minimize the extent and impact of hidden agendas. Joseph Grenny's text Yes, You Can Make Office Politics Less Toxic is an excellent example. 

Tuesday, March 13th, 2018

Trisha Lewis writes about how to Beef up your connecting skills. We all know that connecting and networking are very important things to do - but too many of us are not really good at it. Trisha provides good advice to help us.

Wednesday, March 14th, 2018

On a related note, Janice Kobelsky tells us How to Listen so Others Hear. I am very much into considerations about listening these days - why it is so important to listen, and so important to listen in the right way. Janice tells about listening to learn, to love and to lead - I guess you could put these three L's under the common umbrella "Listen to live". In Janice's words, It's time to abandon "the agenda mindset"> Instead of talking about our interests and what matters to us, we should listen to help the people we listen to achieve their goals.

Thursday, March 15th, 2018

In her latest blog post, Five Things I've Learned About Leadership From Blogging, Rebecca Elvy quotes Benjamin Franklin: "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." From reading the blog post, it is clear that Rebecca does both, as she celebrates the upcoming one year anniversary of the blog in a read with fascinating insights on both leadership and leadership blogging.

Friday, March 16th, 2018

As so often before, I have been inspired by Rebecca Elvy's Twitter feed this week: she led me to the text Flexibly Rigid: Why Leaders Need to Balance Agility With Structure. Just like performance is a buzzword of the times, flexibility is as well. But too much flexibility is not a good thing - not by far. In "Flexibly Rigid", Sara Saddington discusses balancing flexibility with structure. The two things do not need to be kept apart.

Saturday, March 17th, 2018

Psychological safety, on the other hand, is not really as much on the mind of people as the topic justifies. We should strive to make psychologically safe working environments, in which problems are openly revealed, discussed and solved rather than hushed away to explode at the worst possible time. In her most relevant text 4 practices to foster psychological safety, Julie Winkle Giulioni discusses what can be done to create such working environments.


Again, I have had the pleasure to share good reads that I have come across during the week that has passed. I hope the above will inspire you in your reading, too - and I hope you stay tuned for seven new things next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment