Sunday, December 31st, 2017
Well, I have to admit that New Year's Eve is sort of special - even though days are just days, regardless of whether it happens to be just any plain Wednesday, there is still something special about the last day of the year. And it also made me wonder - which one text would I want to reread, because it really made a difference to me in 2017?
It is a tough choice, because there were so many great reads this year, but after some consideration, I ended up with Rebecca Elvy's Possibilities: Why I Love Books (and Journals).
It might not be jam-packed with as much good advice as so many other of Rebecca's posts, but it was really ground-breaking - in the sense that it was the first time I ever experienced this: how I could understand completely the thoughts of someone who at that point was just a total stranger more than 10000 miles away.
You could say that it broke me out of my social media shell, making me understand to the fullest extent that other profiles I meet on Twitter are actually people who can be interacted with - and that in due time, such people have the potential to become dear friends and valued sources of mutual inspiration, even though they are thousands of miles and many time zones away.
Just like Rebecca has indeed become.
It is a tough choice, because there were so many great reads this year, but after some consideration, I ended up with Rebecca Elvy's Possibilities: Why I Love Books (and Journals).
It might not be jam-packed with as much good advice as so many other of Rebecca's posts, but it was really ground-breaking - in the sense that it was the first time I ever experienced this: how I could understand completely the thoughts of someone who at that point was just a total stranger more than 10000 miles away.
You could say that it broke me out of my social media shell, making me understand to the fullest extent that other profiles I meet on Twitter are actually people who can be interacted with - and that in due time, such people have the potential to become dear friends and valued sources of mutual inspiration, even though they are thousands of miles and many time zones away.
Just like Rebecca has indeed become.
Monday, January 1st, 2018
As you will know by now, I am a firm believer in getting rid of bad habits. And even though I acknowledge that it is now too late to follow the headline and Ditch These Seven Bad Habits Before 2018 Starts, it is never to late to follow the advice of Gwen Moran's post and ditch the bad habits - as soon as possible.
Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018
No matter what great things we want to convey to other people, the message will never be better than the way in which it is delivered. I enjoyed reading Robert Chen's 3 Reasons Why Most People are Bad Communicators. Here, we do not only get the reasons - we also get suggestions how to improve.
Wednesday, January 3rd, 2018
I like reading a lot. But I always worry about not being able to remember, where I read stuff, when I need it. Therefore, I had great pleasure reading Ryan Holiday's This Simple Note-Taking Method Will Help You Read More (and remember what you’ve read) - I already bought the index cards.
(And as a matter of fact, I became so intrigued by reading that I continued following links, until I reached the point, where I stumbled upon Niklas Luhmann's article "Kommunikation mit Zettelkästen". It seems that a side effect (an added benefit, you may say) is that I will have to seriously brush up on my German from primary school...)
But remember one of the reasons why it is so important to read - as mentioned in Ryan Holiday's text: "Whatever problem you’re struggling with is probably addressed in some book somewhere written by someone a lot smarter than you."
(And as a matter of fact, I became so intrigued by reading that I continued following links, until I reached the point, where I stumbled upon Niklas Luhmann's article "Kommunikation mit Zettelkästen". It seems that a side effect (an added benefit, you may say) is that I will have to seriously brush up on my German from primary school...)
But remember one of the reasons why it is so important to read - as mentioned in Ryan Holiday's text: "Whatever problem you’re struggling with is probably addressed in some book somewhere written by someone a lot smarter than you."
Thursday, January 4th, 2018
Bruce Lee is quoted to have said that "Showing off is the fool's idea of glory" - and not only that: actually, often it will bring you further, in an easier way, to take a simple solution instead of showing off. Trisha Lewis shows a couple of great examples in 2 ways you can do less and create more impact. In the end, we will ask ourselves with the words of this text: "Why do you over-complicate things?"
Friday, January 5th, 2018
We often see disagreement as a bad thing. But as a matter of fact, this is not necessarily the truth. On the contrary, Amy Gallo tells us Why We Should Be Disagreeing More at Work. The trick is to see disagreement not as being something personal, but related to the subject on which you disagree - and to do it respectfully.
Saturday, January 6th, 2018
I have this personality trait - some people call it a flaw, but I kind of like it - that it is nearly impossible for me to see a quote without trying to go one step closer to the source. So when my dear friend Wendy Woolfork provided me with the inspiration, I had to go looking for Julia Fawal and Nadia Petschek Rawls' 9 creative New Year’s resolutions - and there are really some great inspirational suggestions here. And it is even backed by the original TED talks, which makes it possible to go another step closer to the source.
Thus we begun 2018 - I hope the above has been able to inspire you in your reading, and I hope you stay tuned for seven new things next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment