Sunday, 21 January 2018

Week 3, 2018 - On motivation, mistakes, mental saboteurs - and more

Sunday, January 14th, 2018

Often, one of the tricky things in the daily life is to keep motivation at a high level. On this topic, I read an interesting piece, One Powerful Trick To Boost Motivation For Have-To Tasks, by Pat McDaniel - on how recognizing the impact your efforts have on others can boost your motivation. As it has been said: motivation is relevant when the meaning has gone: if the things you do are meaningful and have a purpose, there's an inherent motivation to it. 

Monday, January 15th, 2018

I keep coming back to trying to understand myself and my habits in order to counteract those which are not productive. While pursuing this, I came across an interesting piece, Overcoming Your Habit Nature — Embrace Your Saboteurs, on habits and our own mental saboteurs, written by Ronni Hendel-Giller. The concept of mental saboteurs is an interesting one - and I took the opportunity to complete the self-assessment to find my own mental saboteurs. As I could have suspected, I need to work with my Avoider.

Tuesday, January 16th, 2018

I am pretty sure the world would be a better place, if  simply we were better at admitting our mistakes instead of making more or less pathetic excuses and instead of playing the blame game. And actually, there are good reasons why. Glenn Llopis shares some good ones in 4 Reasons Great Leaders Admit Their Mistakes.

Wednesday, January 17th, 2018

"Whether we realize it or not, we are constantly given small opportunities to build up or put down our coworkers in the ways we talk about them." This sentence should be enough for us to decide to speak nicely about our colleagues - and people in general. But to know more about how to do it, and the benefits from doing it, The Benefits of Saying Nice Things About Your Colleagues by Jane Dutton and Julia J. Lee is recommendable reading.

Thursday, January 18th, 2018

We all know it. One thing is to set goals - it's quite another - and more difficult - thing to stick to our goals. But in 2 Words to Help You Stick to Your Goals, Jeff Haden presents a very simple and elegant trick that will make it more difficult for you to stray from your goals. 

Friday, January 19th, 2018

Generosity is good, we can all agree. But as I have had the opportunity to discuss with my good friend Wendy Woolfork, we should be careful not to turn even the most obvious into undisputable truths. When it comes to generosity, we should remember that we should do not become selfless to the point of burnout - as Adam Grant and Reb Rebele states it in Beat Generosity Burnout - a text which I first became aware of when stumbling upon it in the Twitter feed of Elizabeth C. McCourt.

Saturday, January 20th, 2018

I had the pleasure of reading Ozan Varol's brilliant  Before you express an opinion, do this from his Weekly Contrarian newsletter, which in general is recommendable reading. This week, Ozan discusses how it has become quite normal to put forward an opinion without really having tried to get even a rudimentary basis of information on which to form it. I think it is time that we read this post (yes, all of it) and decide for ourselves that we want to be better than that.

I hope the above has been able to inspire you in your reading. Stay tuned for seven new things next week - I for one am sure I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment