Sunday, 15 July 2018

Week 28, 2018 - On morning routines - reading #ABookThatCouldChangeYourLife

As I predicted last week, this week - and a couple of the weeks to come - will be different. Vacation time is here - time to dive deep and do some of the things we do not normally do. Not that I do not read books normally - on the contrary - but I am normally more prone to read relevant chapters here and there and not simply read books cover-to-cover.
But now, there's time to be driven less by immediate value and more by serendipity and general interest. Therefore, #SevenThingsIReadThisWeek will enter vacation mode - and the following weeks will be centered not around seven articles a week, but rather around a single book - #ABookThatCouldChangeYourLife. And we start right here, right now.
I am an early bird, a morning person, no doubt about that. And I cherish my mornings - getting up while the rest of the family is still asleep, getting on with whatever it is that I get on with that particular morning - but I have not got anything that could qualify as a morning routine.
But a couple of months ago I stumbled upon an interesting book that I promised that I would allow myself to read during Summer.
That book was "My Morning Routine: How Successful People Start Every Day Inspired" by Benjamin Spall and Michael Xander.
Based on interviews with a number of successful people on their morning routines, Spall and Xander covers mornings from a number of different view points: how to get up, how to be productive in the morning, workouts and meditation, how to keep a morning routine when you have kids et cetera.
Of course, there is much inspiration to be found in the interviews - especially when you stumble upon a person that you really admire - but to me, the pivot point of the book is the concluding subsection that each of the different topic sections have in common: "Over to you" - which is a short inspirational guide for the reader on how to shake up her morning routines in this specific area. How to implement a workout routine or a meditation routine in the morning, or how to arrange evenings with maximum positive impact on the following mornings, for instance. All the time with a strong respect for the reader, acknowledging that what works for one reader might not work for another. And it is true - these tips might not all work for you - but if you are able to find just a few suggestions for improvements that you find useful, this will without doubt have been a read worth your while.
If there's one thing this book left me wanting, it is actually an entirely different book. I have to admit that reading about morning routines inspired mith with regards to another book that I would be delighted to read. Being a morning person has not left me blind towards the fact that there are other people, who perform at their best at other times than the morning. And who knows - I might benefit from learning from people with other circadian rythms than I? So if someone at some point wrote a book on routines, not strictly centered around mornings, I would happily read that one as well.
If this has sparked your curiosity, other reviews can be found, e.g. at amazon following the link below:
 
(And as a disclaimer: yes, the above is an Amazon Associate link - it seemed to me to be the easiest way to provide you with an image and a link to have a closer look on other reviews. It is not my plan to use this as a mean to become rich - and if you prefer, you can just as well have a look by following this link - or better still: go support your local book store...)

No comments:

Post a Comment