Sunday, July 1st, 2018
I like books, and I like to read - that should come as no surprise. This is also the reason why I like to get recommendations for good books from good people. So when I read Benjamin P. Hardy's text Want Instant Motivation? Read This Book Now, I have to admit that I was hooked. Try following the link and consider, whether this could be a book for your reading list this summer as well.
Monday, July 2nd, 2018
There's something to texts about lifechanging ideas that is simply irresistable to me. So when I stumbled upon Bonnie Marcus's interview with Haley Hoffman Smith on how Pursuing Your Big Idea Will Change Your Life, I had to read it. And as so often before - the fact that you might be male should not keep you from reading articles, interviews and texts that have a woman's perspective. Chances are that large parts of it could apply to you, too. Or you could get valuable advice to share with female friends, family members or co-workers.
Tuesday, July 3rd, 2018
We have all heard it before - the story about how you should walk a mile in another person's shoes before judging them. But there are different way of putting on these shoes. In Taking Another Person’s Perspective Doesn’t Help You Understand Them, Brian Gallagher tells us that it is not enough for us to try to imagine. There's more to it than that, and here we can read what it is.
Wednesday, July 4th, 2018
Failing to plan is planning to fail - most of us have heard that many times before. But considerably fewer people are able to actually determine whether it is wise to stick to a plan, or whether it should be changed - and therefore, often stick to a plan which should have been adjusted long ago. In Persist or Pivot? 8 Questions to Determine How to Move Your Plan Forward, Julie Winkle Giulioni discusses what can be done to guide the decision whether to stick to a plan or if it is time to adjust it.
Thursday, July 5th, 2018
As leaders, we make lots of mistakes - denying that would be a big mistake in itself. But they are not always so easy to see. In How to Avoid the Most Seductive Leadership Mistake, Karin Hurt and David M. Dye give their perspective on one of the mistakes I have to admit that I have been prone to make a number of times - and how to avoid it.
Friday, July 6th, 2018
And then again, avoid our own mistakes and faults might be relatively easy, compared to how to get around and along with those of others - our managers, for instance. One typical problem could be lack of self-awareness in a manager - or as Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic puts it in his How to Work for a Boss Who Lacks Self-Awareness, "lack of awareness of how our actions affect — and are therefore evaluated by — other people". But there are ways to overcome this problem and even to help the manager - and this text tells about them.
Saturday, July 7th, 2018
If you're asked to give a presentation, you will for sure prepare in advance - and preparing is relatively easy, because you will be alone on stage and control the events. But what if you were asked to be part of a panel? I must admit - I am not asked to be part of that many panels myself. But the next time I am invited to one, I'll make sure to read Dorie Clark's How to Prepare for a Panel first.
Again, I hope the above has been able to inspire you in your reading.
Summer is upon us, and that deck chair in the shade is calling with it's promise of more uninterrupted reading. I am not yet aware what that will do to this blog - but one thing is for certain: something will happen, and I hope you stay tuned for it next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment