Sunday, 19 November 2017

Week 46, 2017 - On introverts, habits, authenticity - and more

Sunday, November 12th, 2017

I started the week off by reading Jeff Haden's brilliant post with Inc.com: The Emotionally Intelligent Way for Introverts to Meet New People and Make a Great First Impression, about a really good piece of advice for introvert that wants to mingle. I used to be a raging introvert originally - I am still likely to fall into the old habit occasionally and end up in situations where I wish I could be absorbed by the wallpaper rather than engaging in any form of meaningful conversation.
But Jeff Haden has now given me the greatest piece of advice. I will not give a spoiler here - you have to read the post, and it will be time well spent. I wish I had had the advice years ago, but whenever I have one of those introvert days in the future, I for sure will use it.

Monday, November 13th, 2017

You do not have to follow very many people on Twitter, before it becomes impossible to keep track of what posts are out there. Therefore, I am happy to have collected a list of people that I am happy to consider a core part of my tribe - people, from which I get much inspiration.
Monday, I followed a tweet from one of these inspiring people, Beverly Walthour, which ended me up with Melody Wilding's piece at Inc.com: Want to Break a Bad Habit? Science Says Do These 4 Things.
I am a firm believer in replacing bad habits with better ones, and as I have a number of bad habits to choose from, there is food for thought here.
By the way - one example I can whole-heartedly recommend is to use your smartphone to read stuff that educates you, rather than wasting time playing games that really do not get you anywhere.

Tuesday, November 14th, 2017

I read Lolly Daskal's list of Leadership Rituals that Make Each Day Count - seven things that I can practice doing as everyday activities. I am pretty sure that (as mentioned in the article) rituals can lead to transformation, and these rituals will transform us to the better. So start being conscious about it, today rather than tomorrow. I for my part started Tuesday.

Wednesday, November 15th, 2017

I spent part of Wednesday on Gordon Tredgold's 7 Confessions That Saved Me From the Dark Side of Leadership. We can all learn from mistakes made - and even if there are some who claim that they never make mistakes, they should be all the more inspired to read about other people's confessions about the mistakes they made and what they have done to better their ways. I would be very surprised if most leaders weren't able to confess that they did at least some of the mistakes discussed in this very nice post.

Thursday, November 16th, 2017

There's nothing as bad as having a team meeting which drains the energy rather than building it up. Thursday, I found an interesting piece from Jesse Lyn Stoner on how to Keep Your Team Engaged With Meetings That Matter. You might say that a couple of the tips are obvious. But there are really some gems among them, which really makes reading the text worth your while.

Friday, November 17th, 2017

Another one of the wonderful people I consider an important part of my tribe is Wendy Woolfork - she directed my attention towards the text 9 Ways To Show Your People You Value Them. We might think salary and fulfilling tasks is enough to keep our employees happy, but in this text William Arruda provides more ways to really show your team appreciation. And most of them will not even cost anything but your engagement. There's no reason not to start following these tips.

Saturday, November 18th, 2017

From Rebecca Elvy, whom I also value as a highly inspirational person in my tribe, I found my way to Peter Himmelman's text from Forbes, where he shares Four Pathways To Authentic Leadership. There are those people who think authenticity is turning into a buzzword - but it is far to important to let it reduce to that. Taking into account that the alternative is hypocrisy, unreliability, hidden agendas and dishonesty, we should value - and strive for more - authenticity in everything we do.

Another week has flown by. Due to the concept of this blog, I have only been able to touch upon a small fraction of what I have had the pleasure to read this week - a lot of other fabulous people's texts, which I have had inspration to read from yet another lot of fabulous people, could have been mentioned here as well.
But again, I hope the above has been able to inspire you in your reading, and I hope you stay tuned for seven new things next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment